It is a National Curriculum requirment that all children should leave primary school boing able to swim 25 metres. in addition, we believe that as our children live close to the seaside, they should all be strong swimmers and have a good knowledge of water safety.
This is why we take our lower school pupils swimming for two terms each academic year. The upper school swim for one term each academic year. We use a local school's swimming pool and the children walk to swimming (with the exception of Year 3, who travel to the pool during the coldest months).
The usual pattern for swimming is as follows:
- Terms 1 and 2: Year 4 swimming
- Terms 3 and 4: Year 3 swimming
- Term 5: Year 5 swimming
- Term 6: Year 6 swimming
At the moment, all our pupils swim on a Monday afternoon. On Mondays, children should bring with them:
- Swimming trunks (these must be tight fitting – no swim shorts) or one piece costume (no bikinis)
- Swimming hat (ANY child without a hat will unfortunately not be permitted to swim)
- £3.00 per week (voluntary contribution)
Anyone with a verruca will need to wear a verruca sock. Children are not permitted to wear jewellery. Swimming staff do allow children to wear goggles, should they need them.